Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Men in White Coats


The number of exams Ryan seems to constantly be studying for are a testament to the fact that his first semester of Dental School, and much of the second, was largely spent in a classroom. With little but lectures on anatomy and disease to keep everyone interested, the prospect of actual patients seemed a long way away. Apparently, the second semester marks a turning point and things become much more hands on. To mark the transition from classroom to Clinic, the school holds a White Coat Ceremony in which all of the first year students have a white medical coat placed on them by the faculty, symbolizing their future as a medical professional.

Personally, I was quite excited about it. I was interested the meet the teachers that I hear so much about, and I'm so proud of Ryan for being such a smarty pants that it was fun to see him take part in something official. Plus, I was told that there would be cake. Ryan however thought the whole thing was pretty silly, and in the name of silliness he insisted on wearing a bow tie for the occasion. I thought he was winding me up until I saw him walk across the stage in all his glory. He definitely stood out.

Now the white coat is hanging in our wardrobe, where it will no doubt remain for a few years yet, and the real patients are still out there in the future somewhere. But, silly or not, the ceremony means Ryan is one step closer to completing his training. One whole semester is completed and behind him and if you ask me, that's definitely worth celebrating.

1 comment:

  1. Tell Ryan he makes that bow tie work! :) Miss you guys-(I want to see a picture of your fancy ensemble!)

    ReplyDelete