Sunday, May 1, 2011

THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY

I am not fit. I wish that I could blame it on having a baby recently, but it just wouldn't be fair to Charlotte. Sure, nine months of using her as an excuse to bow out of any kind of strenuous physical activity is bound to have had its effect, though in reality I was never particularly fit to begin with. Before pregnancy, my full time work schedule afforded me an excuse to not exercise: time was the issue. I convinced myself that I really would if I could...but, I couldn't possibly! Before the rigors of work, there was all of the reading I had to do at University. Five novels a week, and surely the up-hill walk to the library fulfilled any daily exercise quota, right? Perhaps not. Well, I've decided that for my 26th birthday I would like fitness! With that in mind, Ryan and I decided that every Saturday morning we'll get up early and do a hike somewhere around Las Vegas. He can take a break from the sedentary life of sitting and studying, and I can attempt to increase my lung capacity.

Week one, and we opted to head to Mt. Charleston and hike up to Mary Jane Falls. We didn't do any research into the difficulty of the hike, which wasn't the brightest thing we've ever done. Ryan had heard that the hike to the falls was about a mile and a half and with that said, I was convinced that it would be the perfect starting hike- more of a gentle walk in the mountains than a hike really. We didn't know what we were getting into.

The drive up the mountain was really interesting. As our car climbed in elevation we watched as the landscape changed drastically around us. At the beginning of the drive, we were at 3000 ft in elevation and the fields around us were filled with Joshua Trees for as far as we could see, pointing out the Desert landscape that we are getting used to. Higher, another 1000 ft and the Joshua trees are replaced by grass and as the altitude continued to increase, we became surrounded by Pine Trees and Cedars. For a few hours we left the desert far behind.

Out among the pine trees is where the hike began, in a canyon ravine with sheer cliffs on either side of us. I was amazed by how severe the cliffs were; they were so steep that they looked almost vertical. Ryan had his eyes forward, focused on the trail ahead and I was walking with my eyes to the sky taking in all that was around me, when I spotted a deer on the side of one of the cliffs, maybe thirty feet away from us. I stopped dead in my tracks and whispered to Ryan to tun around and look. We watched the Doe as she grazed and before we knew it, another Deer was walking over towards her. A moment later, we spied a third. It was so exciting to see those beautiful animals so close to us. We stood still, and they seemed unaware of our presence, only continuing their grazing among the shrubs.

Gawking over with, and we continued up the trail. We ascended gradually another 1000 ft, a slow climb that, along with the icy cold air, made my lungs feel like they were burning. We made it to what we thought was the half way point and with the altitude bothering us a little toyed with the idea of turning around and heading back to the car. Ryan let me be the one to decide, and since the purpose of the whole excursion was to try and improve my fitness level, I decided that continuing on was the only thing to do.

At this point the hike changed drastically. We began a climb up one of the afore mentioned cliffs; the ones that were so steep they were pretty much vertical. Slowly we progressed, inching up the hill as the path turned into a mess of hair-pin bends. I kept thinking that we must be almost there, but a glance ahead told me that the ascent was far from over. I relished opportunities for a quick rest while I caught my breath (which probably defeated the object of that walk anyway); It gave me an opportunity to take in the gorgeous views. We emerged above all of the pine trees and they formed a green blanket below us as we looked down on the valley.

We were surrounded by snow as we reached the top of the peak, but even at that altitude the constant Nevada sunshine was having its effect. We clambered around some trees and there we finally found the falls. There were five separate waterfalls before us, more than usual apparently, as the sun melted the snow of the past winter. We sat on the rocks and fed Charlotte and ate Mars Bars as we watched falls. Every few moment massive chunks of melting ice would break off the face of the mountain and plunge to the ground, making explosions that boomed through the air. It was spectacular to watch. (And, a little comical to watch as hikers tried to take photos beneath the falls whilst dodging bricks of falling ice. Genius)

Suitable enamored with the scenery, we began the hike back down the mountain. Charlotte nodded off to sleep in her back pack and Ryan and I took turns carrying her as we kept a look out for wildlife on the way home. Hopefully next time there will be fewer stops for the catching of breath, but stopping to take in the view is ok isn't it?










No comments:

Post a Comment