Monday, March 22, 2010

Living Life Simply

It was mentioned when I started working in an Amish Furniture Store, that employees are ususally taken out to Amish Country to meet the craftsmen once their first anniversay rolled around. The post-cards we sell of Ohio scenery teased me as my eighteenth month on pay-roll passed me by.

A few weeks ago, I was called into the Managers Office. This hadn't ever happened before. Feeling like a little child getting called into the Headmaster's office, I was racking my brains trying to think what I could have done to merit the visit. My worst fears were confirmed when not only was Leeann sitting there, but her husband Chet was waiting for me in there too. This was an ominous sign, since he is rarely at the store. You know something serious is going on when he arrives for a meeting.

"Rachel, its come to that time," Chet began.

Had somebody framed me for stealing? Had the economy finally got the the point of no return? Was it my accent? Could customers no understand me? I didn't know what to think.

"There's a furniture show in Ohio that we'd like to take you to. We'd be gone for a 5 days. Do you think Ryan can spare you for that long?" They seemed as nervous as me.

I confirmed that Ryan could probably spare me if I brought him a present back, and we began making plans. I was excited to go, but a little anxious. What exactly does one talk to an Amish person about? It turned out that my nationality served well as an ice breaker, and a novelty factor as it so often does. The Amish call any 'non-amish' people English. They may have some 'english' making a catalogue for them, or some 'english' working in their shops. How do you explain to someone that has never heard an English accent before that you're not 'English, English,' You're Actual English? It was confusing for a while, but everyone seemed to get a kick out of it.

My fears about conversation were totally unfounded. Everyone we spoke to was talkative and interested in us. I had the most fun talking to them about Faith, and what we believed in. One craftsman, Freeman, was astounded that I didn't drink tea or coffee and said he wasn't sure he could do that. I told him I wasn't sure I could live without a hairdryer. He said 'Touche.' The same craftsman invited us to his house for dinner, which was a real priviledge as they're such private people. He grilled steaks for us while his wife cooked up a storm. I have never eaten so much food. She said she wasn't sure what kind of bread we liked, so she baked 3 different kinds. (As you do of a Tuesday afternoon.)

We did get taken on a horse and buggy ride, which I think was the highlight of the trip for me. Freeman even let me hold the reigns for about a minute, before he thought better of the idea. The craftsmen we work with all live within an 8 mile radius of each other, and I was baffled because they all thought it was a long distance. After being in a buggy I now understand why. What easy distance is 8 miles? Even if it is 8 miles of good road. My buggy ride was around 2 miles, a jaunt around the block and then back onto the farm. They horse was sweating, the wheels were rattling and even in our blankets we were chilly. In some circumstances, 8 miles really is a very long way.

Much of our trip revolved around eating. One morning on the way to a craftsman's shop, we stopped and bought cream sticks, which are essentially a long donut filled with cream. Not exactly light, but they didn't last long at all. This was at about 10 am. By 10:30 we had arrived, and were handed a pastry as we filed into Paul's office. He was expecting us & so brought in the sweets. Lunch involved homemade ice-cream made by someone's wife...and dinner was a buffet. Needless to say, I took 2 things home from Amish country. 5 additional pounds, and, finally a boys name Ryan and I both like. If we ever have a son, you'll find out what it is.

My favourite thing about the Amish? I enjoyed talking to people who talked about ideas instead of things. It's very refreshing. They are such innocent, kind people and it was fun to leave the world behind for a little while and find out what it means to reduce and simplify. James E. Faust gave a talk after a shooting in an Amish School House. He told the story of their forgiveness and charity, and pointed out that we can learn a lot from these quiet & private people. I certainly did.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, I love reading your posts! You write so beautifully, I get so excited to keep reading! Glad your trip was successful....and I am super interested about the Boy name....we have no boy names we agree on yet.I guess thats ok though seeing as we only do girls. Love ya xxx

    ReplyDelete