Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Element of Chance

I am widely known for my long work weeks. Friends will invite us to dinner knowing not to have any food ready until 8, because there's no way I can guarantee arriving before then. Cinema trips are always to the later showings because even half an hour of trailers doesn't buy enough time. Customers ask me what my hours are and I can assure them that if the store is open, I will be there- it's as straightforward as that. There are many advantages to working for a small business, though the long hours are definitely not one of the perks.

I think I have worked every Tuesday for the last eighteen months. It's always the same, Tuesday arrives and I work from 9:30 until 6. Last week I had finally booked a long awaited holiday and on Tuesday I was roaming around New York. What did I find out upon my return? On that particular Tuesday that I didn't happen to be working, who should come into the store? A run of the mill, every day customer? Oh no! Bill Murray! On the one Tuesday this whole year that I'm not there to meet him, Bill Murray comes strolling through the door. Apparently he was very laid back, cracking jokes, and buying hundreds of dollars worth of lazy Susan's; and all on the one Tuesday I'm not there. What are the chances?

No comments:

Post a Comment