Wednesday, February 1, 2012
THE BIG....1
In other happenings, Charlotte turned one! Her birthday magically fell on a Saturday, which meant that we had Daddy home with us all day to play. When we heard her morning chatter signifying she was awake Ryan and I went into her room together singing Happy Birthday as we went. I know that neither of us are particularly good singers, but I never realised the extent of it. Apparently, the two of us breaking into song is a terrifying thing to behold; the experience caused Charlotte to crawl to the corner of her crib, curl up into a little ball, and cry. Not the reaction we had anticipated!
After a little consoling and some breakfast we opened her presents. Charlotte showed vague interest for a couple of minutes, but in true baby fashion she was much more enamored with the wrapping paper than the gifts themselves. Mummy and Daddy were pretty excited about them though!
At one point it all got a little overwhelming for her, but Charlotte settled down to assist her Dad in putting together the new push chair that Grandma & Grandad Hooson had sent her way. It was adorable to watch her being Daddy's little helper.
We thought it would be fun to head up to Mt Charleston for the afternoon to play in the snow. Charlotte didn't know quite what to make of it, but she loved being knee deep in the stuff.....
.....until she didn't:
Warmed through and back at home, we had a birthday party for 3 and Charlotte had her first taste of cake. We got one from the bakery that we love, white chocolate raspberry with thick, magical, cream cheese frosting. We had been salivating at the thought of it all day long. Charlotte had a taste, chewed it over for a minute and then proceeded to spit it out and attempt to feed it to us instead. Apparently she's not a sugar fan just yet. She did freak for the balloons though, so at least something was a hit.
I look back on her first year with such fond memories. I miss my little baby that slept in my arms and fit in the crook of my elbow. I miss her short messy hair and her smiles and that precious baby babbling. But I love that a year has brought with it so many fun changes. She may not fall asleep in my arms any longer but I love that when I sing edelweiss to her she instantly calms and relaxes against my body. I love that she will walk up to me and give me a kiss whenever she feels like it. I love her tight squeeze of a hug and her sweet little voice (even if she somehow already has an american accent?!). I love her constant excitement and the way she kisses her hand puppets one by one. So bring on the toddling and the fun changes still to come. I guess i'll always miss the baby, but I'm so grateful to have the girl.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I just love her :)
ReplyDelete