Ryan and I have brilliant news. I am with child! I was actually already 7 1/2 weeks when we learned the good news, and now I'm a little over 12 weeks. So far the baby is taking it very easy on me, and with just a few days left of my first trimester, I've managed to get through it with very few symptoms. I really haven't had any sickness, a day or two of feeling a little woozy has been the sum total. Ryan is starting to get used to early bed times, I'm usually out of it by 8:30 and ready to curl up and fall asleep. I do have a little pot belly emerging, which I'm finding reassuring, since for now it is really my only hint that there's a tiny baby inside me.
Journal Excerpt for the day we found out:
"I placed the test on the counter while I washed my face. Ryan was making breakfast and I was about to go and find him in the kitchen when I gave the test a cursive glance. It didn't look the same as usual. There was a second line. It was a little fainter than the other one, but I was pretty sure it was there. Maybe I was imagining it. Maybe I was just willing it to be there. I held it and stared.
I was a little puzzled. I really didn't feel pregnant. I expected that somehow I'd just know that my body was different and that there was a tiny baby growing inside it. Yet here I was, standing in the bathroom feeling the same as I did every other morning. Carrying the test, still staring at it, I made my way into the kitchen. Ryan turned around to smile at me. I think he was expecting me to say good morning, or, what's cooking? Instead I asked him a different question, without ever really looking up. I couldn't tear my eyes way from the test, which may, or may not have told me I was going to be a mother.
"Is it just me or are there two lines showing?"
Ryan hurried forward and peered at the test. "There are definitely 2 lines honey." Pause. "Woah. You're pregnant. I told you! I knew it. I'm going to be a Daddy."
I dropped the test in the Bin. If he could see it too it must be real. We hugged. We laughed. I got the test back out of the bin needing some kind of further affirmation. It still said it. It still told us we were finally going to have a baby, we were going to be parents. We hugged again. "I'm so excited!" "Me too! This is awesome." More laughter. Some Kisses. More hugging. Blissful.
It dawns on me that I have to get ready for work. How can I go about my normal routine knowing that there's a baby growing inside me? How long have I been pregnant? Did I remember to take my prenatals yesterday? What about the day before? I wonder if its a girl. Maybe its a boy? I wonder when I'm due? Am I showing yet? Can people tell? I get ready in an excited daze.
I kiss Ryan goodbye. He rubs my tummy, our secret baby tucked away just beneath his hand. "Look after my baby" he whispers as I walk out the door. We laugh again. I walk to my car, a wide smile plastered across my face. Elated."
We can't wait to be parents; we're already in love with this baby we haven't met yet and can't wait for November when we get to finally meet our first baby Buechele.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

yay yay yay! soo excited! love auntie becky & uncle mike xx
ReplyDeleteYay yay yay yay yay!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful Journal entry!! So happy for you Rachel!! Love you xxx
ReplyDeleteOhhh Rachel that is such wonderful news!!!! How exciting. I'm glad this little baby is taking it easy on you. My guess is girl cos with Emily I too could NOT for the life of me stay awake past 8. This time with a boy no problem. Congrats guys. Your going to be great parents!!! The best is yet to come. Love you xxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDelete